Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Focusing in the middle of the storm

Sorry I haven’t been on here for a week. It is not because I didn’t have things to write about but I just haven’t had time to write.

Do you find it coincidental that my last post was about being in a spiritual battle and two days later my husband loses his job?  We know that we are not dependent on that job to provide for us.  We know that God provides for us and we are trusting Him to continue to do that. 

“And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.”  (Philippians 4:19)

On September 6th, I used this quote and it has come back to my mind repeatedly over the last week.   “Faith says,”I trust God, regardless of what is happening, I will press on; I will not be a wishy-washy, halfhearted, fair-weather friend of God. I will trust God when it is difficult. I will persevere when I see the night is coming. I will persevere when life is hard, when I fail, and when I don’t feel like persevering.”” (Johnnie Moore)

We are trusting God in the midst of this hard time.  We will praise God in the good times and in the bad because He is worthy of praise and that fact is independent of anything I am going through.

In the midst of the storm remember, think, meditate on who God is. Think about his character. 

He is:

  • infinite – Psalm 93:2; Psalm 145:13
  • incomprehensible – Job 36:26; Romans 11:33 - 34
  • eternal – Revelation 1:8
  • sovereign – Daniel 4:35
  • transcendent – Isaiah 40:21-26
  • majestic- Jude 1:25; Psalm 8
  • all-present – Psalm 139: 7 - 16
  • all-knowing – Psalm 139:1 – 6; 1 Kings 8:39
  • all-powerful – 1 Samuel 2:6 – 10; Genesis 18:14
  • unchanging – Psalm 102:27; Hebrews 13:8; James 1:17
  • holy – Revelation 4:8; Isaiah 6:3; Psalm 77:13
  • wise – Isaiah 28:29; Jeremiah 10:12
  • truthful – John 3:33; Numbers 23:19; John 14:6
  • good – 2 Chronicles 7:3; Psalm 119:68; Psalm 145:9; Mark 10:18
  • faithful – Deuteronomy 7:9; Psalm 33:4; Psalm 100:5; 1 Thes. 5:24
  • merciful – Nehemiah 9:31; Daniel 9:9
  • kind – 2 Samuel 22:51; Jeremiah 9:24;
  • patient – 1 Timothy 1:16; Nehemiah 9:30
  • just – Deuteronomy 32:4; Job 37:23; Psalm 99:4
  • righteous – Isaiah 51:6; Psalm 89:14

“Your love, Lord, reaches to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the skies.
Your righteousness is like the highest mountains,
your justice like the great deep.
You, Lord, preserve both people and animals.
How priceless is your unfailing love, O God!
People take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
They feast on the abundance of your house;
you give them drink from your river of delights.
For with you is the fountain of life;
in your light we see light.
 Continue your love to those who know you,
your righteousness to the upright in heart.”  (Psalm 36:5-10)

Focus on God and his character in the midst of the storm.  Focus on truth and not the lies the devil throws at you.  Focus on who you are in Christ.  (See the post – I am

 

“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.”  (Philippians 4:8-9)

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”  (Romans 8:28)

 

If you think about it, pray for us.  Pray for a job for my husband.  Pray for peace in the midst of the storm.  Pray for us to walk by faith and not by sight.  Pray that I will “fix my eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith”.

No comments: