Monday, July 1, 2013

What matters ….

“I have no one else like him, who will show genuine concern for your welfare.  For everyone looks out for their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ.”   Philippians 2:20-21 

In this verse, Paul is commending Timothy for his compassion for others.  Paul states that all of the others only cared about themselves and not for what matters to Jesus.  This made me wonder, what is it that I really care about?

Am I concerned about what matters to me or what matters to Jesus?  Are they the same thing?

If I am honest, I will admit they are not the same thing.

What matters to me is having a nice home.

What matters to God is caring for those in distress.

“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”  James 1:27

What matters to me is the choir sounding good on Sunday morning.

What matters to God is my coming before him with clean hands and a pure heart.

“Who may ascend the mountain of the Lord? Who may stand in his holy place? The one who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not trust in an idol or swear by a false god”  Psalm 24:3-4

What matters to me is having enough money to pay my bills.

What matters to God is that I seek Him first.

“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”  Matthew 6:33

What matters to me is what people think about me

What matters to God is what people think about Jesus.

““But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”  Peter answered, “You are the Messiah.””  Mark 8:29

What matters to me is spending time with my family.

What matters to God is spending time with Him.

“You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”  Jeremiah 29:13

What matters to me is not being like those other sinful people.

What matters to God is the sin in my life.

“How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.”  Luke 6:42

I am thankful that God is loving and patient and not done with me yet!

 


“Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.”   Philippians 3:12

 

“being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 1:6

No comments: