Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The New 23rd

One of the reasons I enjoyed this video was because of the way it worded Psalm 23. Sometimes a passage of Scripture can be so familiar to me that I recite it without thinking about the meaning of the words. This video caused me to once again think about the words to Psalm 23.



When you really think about Psalm 23, isn’t it silly to worry?

The Lord is my shepherd, I’ll never get this report done and my life will be ruined.

The Lord is my shepherd and I’ll never pass this test and I’ll fail this class.

The Lord is my shepherd and my family will starve to death because my spouse is unemployed.

It doesn’t go quite like that. It is the Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want. We may be caught in difficult circumstances but that doesn't change who God is or what he has promised.

It is impossible to say, “I will fear no evil for I am a strong and powerful person.” No matter how powerful you are, there is always something or someone that could do you harm. Accidents and illness can affect anyone at any time. Verse 4 doesn’t say that – it says the exact opposite. I will fear no evil, for you are with me. With the Lord as your shepherd, you can face anything, any problem, any difficulty, any sorrow, any suffering. Not only can you face these obstacles but you can face them with confidence. That confidence comes from the fact that the God of the Universe goes with you through it all.

Psalm 23 “The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.”

No comments: