Monday, April 20, 2009

Empty Me

.
American Idol had a young man on two seasons ago that I really enjoyed. He wasn’t afraid to tell his audience that he was a Christian and he wasn’t afraid to select Christian songs to sing. The Christian radio station I listen to in the morning played a song from his album this morning. I’ve heard the song before but this morning the words really spoke to me. It talks about asking God to take away my pride and selfish ambitions. And to take that part of my life and fill it with God’s presence.

Pride has no place in my life. It is a heart sin. It is deceiving. It is easy to put up a front to others and yet to know deep inside that I am not being honest with myself or others.

If I want to know how I am doing with keeping my pride in check – take a look at my motives. Why do I do what I do? The answer will reveal my pride. Remember that God sees my heart.

To others I may appear righteous but what is really going on inside? Am I seeking to honor God with my life? Or am I seeking the praise and acceptance of my peers? What matters most?

Do I consider standing for Jesus to be the highest honor? Do I have a servants heart or am I just looking to what can I get out of a situation?

These are tough questions but they deserve some thought. Only after I examine my heart and my motives will I begin to get a glimpse of how deeply pride has infected my heart.


You can play the song at the link below and the entire lyrics are below.

http://www.albumrankings.com/showSong.php?song_id=929649

Empty Me
I've had just enough of the spotlight when it burns bright
To see how it gets in the blood.
And I've tasted my share of the sweet life and the wild ride
And found a little is not quite enough.
I know how I can stray
And how fast my heart could change.

Empty me of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition and the poison of my pride
And any foolish thing my heart holds to
Lord empty me of me so I can be filled with you.

I've seen just enough of the quick buys of the best lies
To know how prodigals can be drawn away.
I know how I can stray
And how fast my heart could change.

Empty me of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition and the poison of my pride
And any foolish thing my heart holds to
Lord empty me of me so I can be filled with you.

Cause everything is a lesser thing
Compared to you, compared to you.
Cause everything is a lesser thing
Compared to you, so I surrender all.

Empty me of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition and the poison of my pride
Empty me of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition and the poison of my pride
And any foolish thing my heart holds to
Lord empty me of me so I can be
Lord empty me of me so I can be filled with you.
Oh, filled with you.
Empty me.
.

No comments: