Monday, September 20, 2010

More thoughts on prayer


I am continuing to think about the discipline of prayer.  Here are some of my thoughts today …

God is never too busy, never sleeps, never ignores me, never turns His back on me, never has His mind so occupied with running the universe that He will not hear me. 

I need to remember that an answer to prayer doesn’t mean He will solve my problems the way I want them to be solved.  But He does hear my requests and He does respond with solutions – sometimes those solutions are quite surprising.  These solutions not only address my concerns but deepen my faith in HIs wisdom and love.  They strengthen my confidence in His sovereignty.

God wants good things for me.  God wants to bless me.  However, He can’t do that at the expense of His holiness. He may choose to deny my request for one blessing, if that refusal makes the way for a greater blessing.

The goal in prayer is not just to make my daily life easier or better or more enjoyable, but it is to lead me to intimacy with Christ.  Seek intimacy with Christ and I will have everything I really need in life – including things I didn’t even know I needed.

(Notice the key word above is need not want.)

Have a great night.

.

No comments: