Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Prayer


Graduate school is killing me.  I work on papers every night.  That has eaten up the time I usually use to write my blog.  I finish my degree by Christmas.  Then I feel like I will get my life back. Prayer is probably a topic I really need to think about and study.  I need all the prayer I can get!

Prayer is simply talking to God.  It can be audible or silent.  It is collaborating with God in order to accomplish His goals in your life.  This is something I sometimes forget.  It is not to get God to do what I want but to change my heart towards what He wants.

When praying, I should be seeking God’s will for my life.  My prayers should be God-centered.  Even with praying for others or confessing sin, it should come from a heart that longs for God and His will.  Prayer time should also include time for listening.  I need to hear from God.

Prayer is not a bargaining session.  It’s not magical.  I can’t manipulate God.  When I reduce prayer to a cheap marketing scheme I insult a holy and righteous God.  Prayer is not a get-rich-quick scheme.  Prayer is not giving God a wish list like I would a genie.  Prayer is not to be painful.  I should enjoy spending time with God.  Prayer should not involve meaningless repetition. I am not trying to impress God with my spirituality or works.  I am to seek His plan for my life and then adjust my will to match His.

Well, that’s about it for tonight.  More thoughts on prayer coming soon.

.

No comments: