Saturday, September 18, 2010

More Ideas on Prayer


“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  (Philippians 4:4-7)

To make it simple, Paul said worry about nothing.  Pray about everything.

God’s not saying “Don’t worry.  Be happy.”  He’s not saying that I am not supposed to care.  He’s saying as I care, turn those cares over to Him.  Trust Him to take care of it.  He knows that troubles will come my way.  It is His desire that I turn those troubles over to Him.  Determine now how I am going to face the next crisis. 

If I am worried, then I need to pray.  If after praying I am still worried, then I need to pray some more.  I need to pray until I feel the peace of God ruling my heart and mind. 

Worrying is wrestling with problems on my own.  Sometimes the hardest part is leaving my problem with God.  I’ve prayed about it but waiting for God to answer is sometimes hard.  I want to fix it myself.  Giving up control over the problem it tough. 

1 Thessalonians 5:17 tells me to pray without ceasing.  I need to start my day with prayer.  I need to pray throughout the day.  I need to pray at each break.  I need to pray at lunch.  I need to pray before class and before meetings.  Pray when I am disappointed.  Pray when I am frustrated.  Pray when I get surprised.  Pray in the midst of bad news.  Pray in good times.  Pray about everything and all the time.

My heavenly Father loves me.  He wants the best for me.  He wants me to trust Him and lean on Him.  He wants me to bring everything to him. 

.

No comments: