Friday, November 22, 2013

I got an A+ and didn’t have to take the test

As a veteran teacher, I see things differently than some people.

I work all day long with high school students.  As long as they can remember they have been being evaluated for their performance.  It has been ingrained into their minds to do well and get the A.  Sometimes effort and behavior play into that grade but mostly it is performance.  Did you get an A on the test?

Growing up that was extremely important to me.  I strove to get the As. 

Sometimes it is easy to forget that God doesn’t work this way.  He’s got a completely different system.  It isn’t about performance, effort, or behavior.

He’s already graded me and I got an A+.  Why? … because of what Christ did for me.  I simply had to accept what Jesus did for me and apply it to my life.  Now the pressure is off and I can relax.  Because my position in Christ is secure, I can feel the freedom. 

I am free to grow.  I am free to live.  I am free to obey.  I am free to fail, and then start all over again.  The final test has already been taken and I passed.  Jesus took it for me and because He passed, my name is written in the Book of Life .

It’s called grace

 

“For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast.”  
Ephesians 2:8-9

“For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.”  Romans 6:14

“And if by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.”  Romans 11:6 

“Grace, then, is grace,–that is to say, it is sovereign, it is free, it is sure, it is unconditional, and it is everlasting.” ~ Alexander Whyte

No comments: