Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I surrender …

When I consider my Christian life, it comes to one primary goal …. living in surrender to Christ.  That isn’t easy!  In fact, sometimes it is very difficult.

Feelings are the worst.  It is sometimes very difficult to choose facts over feelings.  My flesh sends up feelings that I have a hard time suppressing.  Then they quickly take over my logic, reason, and truth.  They cause me to try to justify my actions, to consider my rights, and then they stir up within me anger and bitterness.  They are a very real threat to me.

What I need to do is focus on the facts.  Truth is found in facts.  Jesus said the truth would set me free.

The key – surrender.

My surrendering determines how sold out to Jesus I am.  It also is an indication of my love for Him.

I asked God why He made me with such deep feelings.  I guess it is so I would continually draw near to Him….so I would desperately need Him.  I need Him in control.  I need Him to direct my paths.  I need Him to guard my heart.  I need Him to guide me in truth.

My emotions require constant management.  That keeps me in need of constant surrender to Him … every minute …. every day.  It’s work, but it is worth it.

Surrender is essential.  It’s a constant practice of confessing sin and disobedience and attempting to live in obedience and truth. 

When I am fearful … Lord I surrender.

When I am angry… Lord I surrender.

When I am weak and my faith begins to waver… Lord I surrender.

When I am jealous… Lord I surrender.

When I am hurt, angry, bitter… Lord I surrender.

When I am prideful… Lord I surrender.

When I want to be in control … Lord I surrender.

When I am selfish … Lord I surrender.

When all I can see is my failure … Lord I surrender.

When I doubt your goodness … Lord I surrender.

When I doubt your love … Lord I surrender.

When I think the whole world is against me … Lord I surrender.

Surrender slows down my world.  It clears my mind.  It allows me to experience God’s presence in my spirit.  It reminds me of the facts – the truth.  It empowers me.  It gives me clarity.  It silences the needs/desires/wants of my flesh. 
 

“Search me, God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.”    ~Psalm 139:23-24
 

“Direct my footsteps according to your word;
let no sin rule over me.” 
~Psalm 119:133

No comments: