Sunday, March 30, 2014

Resting in His goodness

I don’t really know where to start this post.  I’ve got a million thoughts running through my head.  If you get nothing else from me today, remember this – God is good - never question His goodness, His love, or His faithfulness.

I’ve been through a rough time lately.  Some personal/family issues that I won’t go into on this blog.  This last week was really hard.  As I made a choice to praise God in the midst of the storm, I was also faced with intense spiritual warfare.  In Revelation 12:10, the devil is called the “accuser of the brethren.”  That was made real to me this week.  My mind was bombarded with hurt, pain, disappointment; thoughts that I’m unworthy, unloved, rejected, used, etc.  I was grasping with all I could to take ahold of God.  I was reading the Word every minute I could.  I knew I needed to renew my mind.  I knew I was being hit with the fiery darts of the evil one.  (Ephesians 6)  I knew I needed my shield of faith and my sword of the Spirit.

What I got from the Lord was simply these thoughts.  Rest in my goodness.  Trust me.  I created you.  You are my workmanship. My grace is sufficient for you.    No – I didn’t hear an audible voice but I heard these ideas in my heart. 

God isn’t good because He does good things for us.  God is good because of who He is.  It’s a part of His character. 

We all face situations that are out of our hands.  Situations where all we can do is wait and pray.  At that point, rest in his goodness and unfailing love.  As hard as it is, choose to praise Him and give Him thanks. 

God is sovereign.  He is before all things. He created all things.  He upholds all things.  He is above all things.  He knows all things.  He accomplishes all things.  He rules all things.  He is in control of all things. 

You can trust Him when He says that He works all things together for good for those who love Him.  (Romans 8:28)  When you are in the midst of the storm, it is hard to see how any good could possibly come from this particular issue in your life but know that God promises that somehow He will take all that “stuff” and use it for good in your life.  That’s what allows you to have a sense of peace in the midst of the turmoil.  Trusting in an all-wise, all-powerful, all-loving God and knowing that He wants what is best for you. 

What does He want from you?  absolute and complete surrender.  Surrender your money, talents, career, sexuality, time, interests, ideas, plans, future, dreams, everything.  You are no longer yours.  You have been bought by the One who created you.  Who better to know what’s best for you than the one who knit you together in your mother’s womb.  (Psalm 139:13)  The One who knew you before the foundation of the world.  (Ephesians 1:5)  The One who loves you with an everlasting love.  (Jeremiah 31:3) 

You must trust and absolutely refuse to worry.  Pray intensely, but don’t worry.  God is doing things you don’t understand, things that are deeper and better and more wonderful than you have imagined.  You simply need to have faith, believe, and rest in His goodness.  

You might be thinking, well – that’s easy for your to say.  Actually, it’s not.  I have yet to see the good from my situation but I believe God will bring it about.  Also, please note that I did not say that everything was good, but that everything will work for good in your life.  Some things definitely aren’t good.  My situation is not good.  However, I am praying that God will use it in my life to make me more like Christ.

.

No comments: