Monday, August 23, 2010

Still trying to “Be Still”


I am continuing to look at the idea of “being still” or in other words silence. What happens when we are silent?

Proverbs 2 tells about all the things that if we cease, God will reveal.

The opposite is also true. If I refuse to “be still”, then I may gain some knowledge about God but I will not “know” God. It is through times of silence and stillness that He speaks and reveals Himself.

Romans 8:16 (The Message) “God's Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who he is, and we know who we are: Father and children”

Proverbs 4:23 (The Message) “Keep vigilant watch over your heart; that's where life starts.”

Above everything else, guard my heart. Preserve it and keep it sensitive towards the Lord. From it will come decisions and characteristics that will define who I am and what I want to do. God will transform my heart to be more like Him and to more fully reflect His character. Sustained periods of quietness are necessary in order for that to happen.

My responsibility is to find time away from the TV, the computer, the iPod, and everything else that makes “noise” in my life. Alone and quiet in stillness and solitude, listen and wait for God to lead.

As I am still before God, the problems that weighted me down become smaller and smaller before God. He calms my spirit. He frees me from worry. He gives a sense of peace.

Most people are afraid of silence. They see it as empty and hollow. It is like a great hole that they have fallen into. They count the seconds until the silence will be over.

These kinds of people are shallow. They have no depth to their lives. As a Christian, we need that depth. We need to be deeply and intimately known by God. It is from this depth that ministry flows. You can’t reach out to others unless you have something to give.

Make an effort to find time to “be still”.  You won’t regret it.

.

No comments: