Friday, May 16, 2014

Struggling but All In

Life seems to be a struggle these days.  I trust Jesus and have completely given my life to Him and yet I am struggling.  Daily life is a battle.  Satan knows my weak areas and he is on the attack.  He knows how to push my buttons. 

When we are living for God, Satan wants to destroy us.  Or, at the very least, wants to destroy our witness.  He will do whatever it takes to stop us, distract us, or bring us down. 

I think Paul said it best when the Holy Spirit had him write these words:

“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” 
(Ephesians 6:12)

We are at war, a spiritual war.  It is very real. If we, as a followers of Jesus Christ, make any effort to actually live for Him, Satan will notice. We have picked up our sword against the evil one, and he is ready and waiting to accept our challenge. Be prepared. Whether he attacks via our sinful nature or through other means, he will attack. Therefore, we need to put on the whole armor of God.

13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.
14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,
15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.
16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

(Ephesians 6:13-18)

Let me be completely honest for a few minutes….

Living the Christian life is messy.
It is hard.
Some days it is a real fight.

But God knows all about it and all about me.
He understands me completely – He created me.
Understanding that gives me peace and rest.

God doesn’t push me away when I sin, He longs for me to confess and get right with Him.
He picks me up and reminds me that He loves me.
He reminds me of His grace.
He reminds me that it is only in His strength that I can get through each day.
Only in His strength can I live each day for Him.

I don’t understand all of this – and the more I try, the more I see that I don’t understand it. 
He’s the infinite wise God and His ways are so above my ways that my tiny finite brain just doesn’t get it all.
That’s OK – I’m all in for Jesus anyway.
I don’t need to understand everything, I just need to trust.

It’s not easy to confess when I’m struggling.
It’s often mumbled through tears.
It’s humbling… but that’s where He wants me – completely trusting Him.

Truth is – this life is hard with Jesus -  how in the world would I survive without Him.
Keep walking it, keep talking it, keep trusting Jesus…

There’s no other option for me….. I’m all in.

No comments: