Monday, May 5, 2014

Waste, Spend, or Invest

As I approach another birthday, I am thinking more and more about the idea of whether I am wasting my life, spending my life, or investing my life.

Let’s start with some scripture and then I’ll explain what I mean. 

Ephesians 5:15-17   “Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.”

Deuteronomy 10:12   “And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God ask of you but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul”

The way I see it, things people waste their lives on are things that are destructive. Perhaps that means drugs or alcohol.  They definitely fit the category.  But what about “unclean” movies or TV?  Shows that definitely don’t build you up.  What about what you do on the internet?  The computer can be used for good or evil.  I use it every day in ways that encourage my faith but I know others who get into all kinds of “evil” on the computer.  As I think about things, the category of wasting my life doesn’t really fit me.  I don’t think I am in here …

There are many things that we do that aren’t bad in themselves but they use our time.  I would call these things that we spend our lives on.  It could be an activity, a club, a hobby,a job,etc.  Things that aren’t bad in themselves but having spent my time on them accomplishes nothing of eternal significance.  Some of these things we have to continue to do.  I have to work.  Why – I have to pay my bills.  I have to clean my house, do the laundry, and cook food for my family.  These are not bad things.  They are obligations.  What you need to watch is that you don’t just “spend” your whole life on these things.  Some “good” things may have to go if you want to have room for God in your life.  If you want to have time to read the Word, pray, be involved in a small group or Bible study, go on a mission trip, teach Bible School, attend church, talk to your friends and neighbors about Christ, etc…. then some other “good” things may have to be eliminated from your schedule.  This is the category that I need to really watch with my life.  I get busy with “stuff” and it isn’t bad stuff but it isn’t really accomplishing anything either.

I’m about to turn 53.  Yes – I gave my age out on the internet.  It’s OK – I don’t care.  I’ve received 365 days a year for the last 53 years – or I have had about 19,366 days so far in my life.  How have I spent those?  Have I been purposeful with how I’ve used what God has given me?  I don’t need another resolution – like we make at New Years.  Those don’t seem to work for me.  I need discipline.  I need priorities. 

I desire to invest my life.  That means using it to participate in things that have eternal results.  People are the only things that last forever.  Nothing else lasts.  You can’t take anything to heaven with you except others.  The only way you take others with you is to make sure they know Jesus.  And so that means pouring my life into other people. 

Romans 12:1 “Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.”

2 Corinthians 5:15 “And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.”

Don’t squander your life.  Invest it.  As I now look at my life and know that the Lord could take me home any time, (I’m not being morbid, just facing the facts that no one is promised tomorrow.) I want to be about my Father’s business.  I want to be investing my life in the lives of others.  I want to be building the kingdom. 

What does that look like?  I still have to work a job but that job doesn’t have to consume me.  Also, while I am at work, I am seeking to impact the people I work with.  How do you do that?  

I talk about my faith – it’s not a secret that I am a Christian.  Then since it isn’t a secret, I’d better also live it.  I have Micah 6:8 posted on my bulletin board - “To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”  If you talk about your faith but don’t live it out in action, no one will take you seriously and no one will be interested in your “God” for themselves.

I take care of my family.  I believe it honors God when I make sure my family’s needs are met.  My husband and my daughter are a priority in my life.  However, once their needs are taken care of (not every want), I look for ways to invest in others.

I am active in our church.  I sing in the choir, teach Sunday School, sing with the worship team, help with Bible School, etc.  Our church choir visits a nursing home every other month.  I help with things like the Christmas play, Christmas caroling, fixing food for people in need, etc.  I went on a mission trip last summer and am anticipating doing the same this summer.  Taking one of my weeks of vacation ( I get 4) and spending it serving others.  It is not only beneficial to others but it changes me.  It reminds me how blessed I am and how good God is. 

Do these works earn my salvation?  NO!  I am saved by faith in Christ. It’s by God’s grace.  The things I do are as a result of that salvation.  I want others to know Jesus the way I do.  I want my life to count for something of eternal value.

Ephesians 2:8-10  “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—  not by works, so that no one can boast.  For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”

“Only one life,’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.” 
~ C.T. Studd

I am seeking the Lord today for new and exciting ways to invest my life.  What about you?

No comments: