Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Staying on Track

Yesterday I wrote about starting over. I wrote about how you can decide to make changes any day in your life and that you don't have to wait for Jan 1st.

Deciding to make the change is sometimes the easy part. Sticking to that change and breaking old habits can be the hard part. Whenever I try to make changes in my life, I often revert to my old tendencies. Often times I end up in despair and give up.

Paul wrote about this in Romans 7:13 - 24. He describes our struggle against the flesh when he says, "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." He goes on to say, "For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out."

Trying to get our act together on our own is very frustrating and even impossible. We need to realize two things. 1) God does not require us to "get it together" before we come to him. We simply come to Him just as we are. 2) We can't do it on our own. We need God's help and with His help all things are possible.

The Holy Spirit is ready and waiting to help you make changes in your life. You don't have to go it alone. You need to choose to act on God's promises to help you. Then you need to prepare for battle. Arm yourself with the Word of God, prayer, and a godly friend who can encourage you through your tough times.

Remember that each day you stay on track, you are one step closer to breaking old habits and making new ones.


Galatians 5:16 "live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature."

Matthew 19:26 "with God all things are possible."

No comments: