Thursday, February 28, 2008

Stress

My life is crazy. I often run around in circles trying to keep up with everything. One thing is pulling me this way and something else is pulling me the other way. I am under deadlines at work, in school, and at home. That leads me to “stress out”. With working fulltime, being a grad student, and having a family, this happens on almost a daily basis. Stress brings its own problems. Things like headaches, high blood pressure and, in my case, high blood sugar (I’m diabetic). To combat all of this, I need to refocus.

Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Jesus says, “Come unto me” - he really meant get up now and do it – no procrastinating. When you are tired, weary, exhausted, stressed out, “come unto me” and “I will give you rest”. He will refresh your spirit. He will calm your nerves and your heart. He will give you a calmness that you can’t get anywhere else.

When we spend our lives trying to please everyone else, we forget that there is someone who wants to walk with us step by step through every day. He wants us to turn to Him when we are feeling the stress. He wants to hold us up and help us through.

Every day, wake up and spend some time with Him. Take time to read the Word and to pray. Only as we are quiet before Him can we hear Him speak to us. Listen to His plans for your life and your day. We still have to do our jobs but we can face it all when He goes with us. Before you get wrapped up in your day and details – like what to wear, what to feed the kids, deadlines at work, after school activities, etc…, take that “quiet time” to ask Him to go through the day with you.

Psalm 100 says to "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord." What more joyful noise would he love to hear than "Good morning, Lord"!

Psalm 100:1-5 – “Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.”

Trust God with everything. He is able to help you through anything.

Hebrews 10:23 “Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful”

No comments: