Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Good Intentions

I had really good intentions when I started this blog. I really thought I could keep up and write something fresh and meaningful every day. It didn't take long for me to realize that I had set a really unrealistic goal. I now have the intention of trying to post something twice a week. I am again struggling. The struggle is with time not with desire. Regardless, I realize that no matter how great or little time we do have in life, we often make time for the things that seem important to us. For instance, I have never been too busy to take my vacation. I have never been too busy to go to work. On the other hand, I can get too busy to wash the dishes or cut the grass. My point is we choose what we are too busy for. What about doing that which God has called us to do? Can we really say we are a Christian if we are too busy to spend time with the one who gave His life for us? How can we develop a relationship with Jesus if we never spend time with Him? Yet when we are "busy" isn't our devotional time often the first thing that we cut.

We can have all the good intentions and still leave out our time with God. We may need to rearrange our schedule. We also need to think about ministry opportunities. An important part of your Christian life and growth is what you do for others. Is God calling you to an area of service? Is there something you can help out with at your church? Can you sing in the choir? Can you help with youth ministry? Has God gifted you in an area like speaking, teaching, preparing meals for others, leading a Bible Study, etc...? Whatever it is, God has called you to do it in order to strengthen the church. All of us make up the body of Christ. All of us together are better and stronger than one of us alone. Think about how using your gift may inspire and encourage someone else.


Ephesians 4: 11 – 13 “to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up”

I Corinthians 12:12 “The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ.”

Hebrews 10: 23 – 25 “Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”

No comments: