Friday, February 22, 2013

What is your testimony?

Definition of testimony - is a solemn declaration as to the truth of a matter. All testimonies should be well thought out and truthful.

So if someone asks you about your Christian testimony, they simply want to know the truth about what has happened in your life.

When you tell others about what God has done for you, you are sharing your testimony. It should be the story about how you came to place your faith in Christ. Every Christian should have a testimony.

Some Christians have really dramatic testimonies about how they were saved from a life of drugs or crime. Others don’t have that kind of story to tell but that doesn’t make their testimony any less significant.

The truth is we are all sinners on our way to hell. Then God came and did a miracle in our lives. He rescued us and set us on a path leading to heaven. “For while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8) We didn’t do it ourselves. We were saved by grace through faith in Christ.

I like to hear about how people came to Christ but I don’t like it when they go into gory details about all the things they did before Christ saved them. These things are the past and should be put behind them.

There are other testimonies where people tell about how much they have given up for Jesus. They elaborate on all the things they gave up and all the sacrifices they made. Your testimony should be about what Jesus did for you, He gave up His life for you. Therefore, focus on Jesus because He is the one doing the saving work.

A good testimony should lift up the name of Jesus and should convey that we were all sinners hopelessly separated from God and then Jesus came and saved us and transformed us. You should always be ready to share your story of salvation.

Check back for the next post and you can read my testimony …. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew 10:32 “So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, “

Psalm 71:15-18 “My mouth will tell of your righteous acts, of your deeds of salvation all the day, for their number is past my knowledge. With the mighty deeds of the Lord God I will come; I will remind them of your righteousness, yours alone. O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds. So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come. “

1 John 5:11 “And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.“

1 Peter 3:15 “But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,”

1 Corinthians 2:1-5 “And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.”

Romans 1:16 “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes”

Titus 3:3-7 “For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.”

No comments: