Sunday, October 30, 2011

I’m a Quitter


I have been working long hard days this year.  Most have been 10 – 12 hour days and lots of nights and weekends.  I’m exhausted but that is what is required for me to do a good job at my work. Now we are working a man short and so instead of seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, all I see is more long nights and weeks.  I am frustrated.  I am tired.  I can’t keep going …

I searched my life for things I could eliminate in order to make more space.  I needed to find some relief.  I know my decision is not a good one for the long term but for the short term, it is what it is.  I quit church choir.  I love to sing and choir is usually an enjoyable time for me.  However, practices are at 4:45 on Sunday afternoons.  I would get home from church, change clothes, eat lunch, do dishes, and it was time to go back to church.  I had to make some free time in my life.    Now I am taking Sunday nights for some “me” time.  Is that selfish?  Time to read a book or take a nap. Time to catch my breath before starting the next hard week.

I know that I need to be involved in ministry and I know that I am not currently doing much – outside of working with my students at school. My quitting was not because I had my feelings hurt.  Quitting was not because I was mad. I am not quitting church, just the choir. 

Is this a lack of commitment on my part or is it just necessary for my survival?  Am I justified in this decision or am I letting others down who were counting on me? 

I am still committed to the Lord and I am still committed to my church.  I just need a break for a while.  Am I taking the easy way out?  Why do I feel guilty?

No comments: