Thursday, December 6, 2012

Commitment

Commitment can be defined as the decision to do what needs to be done, no matter the cost.  I see this kind of commitment in many of our service men.  They are committed to their unit and their country to do anything necessary in order to get the job done.

Christian commitment really starts with God’s example.  The problem – a lost and dying world.  The solution – God sending his Son into the world to die for us.  Our sin cost God the life of his only Son.  He was committed to me before I even acknowledged him.

What does He ask from me in return?  My love and commitment. 

Read John 21:15-19  Jesus asks Peter if he loves him more than these and Peter answers that he does.  Jesus tells him to feed his lambs.  Following Jesus and feeding his sheep became Peter’s mission.  Peter might not have understood it all at first but as he grew in his faith, he went on to help found the Christian church. This commitment went on to cost Peter his life.

Love for Christ isn’t just a feeling or an emotion but is a commitment to obedience. 

Luke 9:23 “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.”

Jesus also said,”If you love me, you will keep my commandments”  (John 14:15)

Christian love is a commitment to obedience but not in order to win God’s favor.  It’s not for what I can get out of it.  It isn’t from a selfish motive.  It is in response of what God did for me that I demonstrate my commitment to Him.  I should be saying the words He gives me; I should be going where He tells me to go; I should be doing whatever He tells me to do.  All of this should be done without considering the cost.

Hebrews 11:1 “Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.”

Hebrews 11:6 “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”

Faith is not just believing God exists.  The book of James says that even the demons believe. 

Faith and commitment go hand in hand.  Faith needs action.

By faith Noah built and ark.  He not only believed God, he did what God told him to do.  He was laughed at.  He was ridiculed.  He was despised and yet he endured the persecution and completed his project. 

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place to receive his inheritance.  He didn’t know where God was leading him.  (Hebrews 11:8)

Hebrews 11 is called the “Hall of Faith”.  It talks about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel, and the prophets.  These were men who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, received promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched raging fire, escaped the edge of the sword, won strength out of weakness, became mighty in war, and put foreign armies to flight.  (vs 33-34)

This chapter is followed by Paul’s model for commitment in chapter 12. 

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”  (Hebrews 12:1-2)

Paul goes on to encourage us not to grow weary or fainthearted .  We are to strive for holiness.  Striving for holiness becomes the commitment, the goal.  Why?  Verse 14 – without holiness I can’t see God.  What motivates me – verse 2 – the joy set before me.  The confidence of knowing what God has promised, he will fulfull. 

Commitment tells me to try my hardest.  Commitment leads me to do “whatever it takes.”  Commitment says “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.” 

What Christ has done for me, what Christ does in me daily, what Christ will do for me in the future – all of these motivate me to commit my life to Him. 

Jesus said “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  (Matthew 11:28-30)

No comments: