Monday, December 3, 2012

Surrender, Submission, and Sacrifice

These are not ideas that we like to think about.  However, they are words that I have been contemplating for a couple of weeks.

I can submit certain areas of my life to Christ really easily but there are other areas that I sometimes try to manage myself.  Surrender in part is OK with me but not complete surrender.  Sacrifice is easy as long as I don’t really have to give up anything I really like or want.  However, following Jesus is not about me.  It is not about what I can keep or what I can gain.  It’s about losing everything for the sake of the gospel.

I like to think that I am the master of my own destiny.  (I like to be in charge.)  I like to decide what I want to do and how I want to spend my money.  I don’t like to be submissive. I submit to my boss because I want my paycheck.  But I don’t always do that with a good attitude.  However, following Jesus requires that I bow humbly before Him.  It requires that I make the purpose of my life to serve Him.  Discipleship cannot exist without submission.  (Ouch)

Surrender is similar to submission.  It is the idea of giving up all my perceived rights in order to follow Christ.  Everything I think is mine is really His.  I forfeited my right to possess anything when I chose to follow Christ.  All I have is to be used to serve and worship God.  I have to give up all sense of ownership.  This isn’t an easy task.  However, I must let go of everything I cling to in order to be transformed into a servant of Christ.

Sacrifice is like the final stage.  I sacrifice my freedom in order to be a servant.  I sacrifice my creature comforts when I surrender to Him.  I sacrifice my way of life to follow Him.  I need to go where He sends me.  I need to do what He asks me to do.  I need to reach out to the lost and the lonely.  I need to give generously to those in need, even if I don’t think I can afford to do that.  He has promised to provide for me.

Following Christ is not a guarantee that I will live “happily ever after.”  Sometimes being a disciple of Christ is dangerous.  It could cost me friends, popularity, money, a job, or even my life.  But, it is the only way to find true freedom and everlasting life.

These words are scary.  Which one are you most uncomfortable with?  Do you readily humble yourself and submit to Him?  Do you acknowledge His Lordship over your life?  Are you able to give up everything that you worked so hard to acquire?  Do you still hold on to some things? Are you willing to sacrifice everything for the sake of the gospel?  Will you give up your life? Can you honestly say your aren’t holding anything back from God? 

Discipleship isn’t an easy path.  God never promised us an easy life.  He did promise eternal life.  He did promise rest, peace, mercy, and grace.  The road to eternity may be difficult but the destination will be greater than our wildest imagination.  Our minds simply can’t conceive how amazing heaven is going to be. 

Submit, surrender, and sacrifice.  He alone is worthy of our devotion and worship.  He alone is mighty to save.

 

Philippians 3:7-8 “But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ.”

Mark 8: 34-37 ““f any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it.  For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life?  Indeed, what can they give in return for their life?”

“'He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose'. “
Jim Elliot (Missionary to the Auca Indians who was martyred for the gospel)

No comments: