Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Journey

Why did I name this blog Christian Journey?

I accepted Christ as my Savior the summer between my junior and senior year in high school.  At that moment I was saved, born again, justified, whatever term you want to use. 

That day I started on a journey to heaven.  Thinking of my Christian life here on earth as a journey helps me visualize my life of faith.  It reminds me that I have a destination and that I haven’t arrived there yet. 

It encourages me to think ahead, plan ahead, and look forward with great anticipation the day that I will arrive at my final destination.  The day I will finally see Jesus face to face!

The journey is a process in itself.  It enables me to grow as I press on toward my goal.  Traveling on this journey is about reaching the destination, but it is also about experiencing personal and spiritual growth along the way.  The journey is a process that helps me become more like Christ.

How?  In one sense, I will be the same person when I complete my journey that I was when I began it.  Yet in other ways, I will be completely different.  I will have been changed by the things I have experienced along the way.  The journey offers me the chance, the opportunities, and the time to deepen my commitment to Christ and to anticipate my arrival to my destination.  That anticipation of the joy at the end sustains me through the hard times.

I am wanderer, a sojourner, an alien.  I am merely passing through this world.  I do not expect to remain here.  I do not want to “settle down” and be comfortable. 

There are days that I feel exhausted.  Continuing the journey seems hard.  In these times, I need to remember that God will continue HIs good work in my life and will help me finish the race.  I need to let the Holy Spirit do His work in my life and enable me to become more like Christ every day.  Paul wrote:

“He will also keep you firm to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.”  1 Corinthians 1:8-9.

Paul guaranteed the believers that God would consider them “blameless” when Christ returns.  This guarantee was not because of their gifts, service, or performance, but was because of what Jesus accomplished in them through his death and resurrection.  It was God's work, not theirs.  If you have faith in Christ, even if it is weak, you are and will be saved.  All believers are justified by God’s grace and stand before Him “blameless”.

“May he strengthen your hearts so that you will be blameless and holy in the presence of our God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones.” 1 Thessalonians 3:13

“so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.”  Hebrews 9:28

“He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus”    Philippians 1:6

And so, I continue on my journey.  I trust Christ every day to work in me and use me.  I know that there will be hard times but I know that Jesus will go through those with me.  A journey is usually a winding pathway.  Sometimes you can’t see around the next corner, but I press on toward goal. Sometimes I have to step out in faith and trust that God is going with me and before me.

“I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day.”   2 Timothy 1:12b

Death remains a part of the journey but it is not to be feared.  It is really just the last barrier to conquer before I reach my destination. 

“For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.  Therefore encourage one another with these words.”  1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

No comments: