Sunday, October 12, 2014

Courage

Courage was not something I thought I needed to learn and yet God has taught me a lot about it this year.  I’ve faced a lot of challenges, trials, pain, confusion, and more.  I had no choice – they were thrust upon me.  They seemed mountainous at times.  And, the enemy was right there in the midst of it all, amplifying my feelings of loss, fear, hurt.

The body of Christ is important when going through these kinds of trials. God created us with the ability to encourage and lift each other up .  We need to make sure we are doing that.

1 Thessalonians 5:11 “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.”

Proverbs 27:17 “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.”

We find strength when we stand together.  As the enemy continues his assault, turn to people you know can pray and let them help you.

James 5:16 “The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.”

As I faced days, weeks, and even months of hurt and pain, I called on the Lord for courage to face my circumstances.  In the midst of the battle, God was right there beside me.  He provided the strength and courage that I desperately needed to keep going.  The courage that He taught me increased my faith and trust in Him.

The pain, confusion, loneliness that I experienced remained for months and I still feel it at times.  I pray daily for guidance, desperately asking God to show me what to do.  I pray for healing for my heart.  I pray for direction, wisdom, and just the strength to get through each day.

Psalm 28:7  “The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me.”

Sometimes I get impatient, wanting to see some answers to my prayers.  I can’t rush God.  I can’t get ahead of His plan no matter how hard I try.  During these times of impatience, God made it known to me that He was working and that I needed to trust and wait on Him. This was not what I wanted to hear, but was what I needed to hear.  He is at work. He is fulfilling His plan.

Psalm 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God”

God is working, even when I can’t see it.  I needed to learn to trust and have faith. That takes courage.  I needed to learn courage because it takes courage to follow Him and Him alone.

Joshua 1:9  “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

Finally, seven months later, I’m starting to see a crack of light in the darkness.  I needed to come to the place where all I wanted was God and all I needed was God.  He is completely sufficient for all my needs. 

2 Corinthians 12:9  “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness”

God continues to give me just a little more light.  The problem that caused the heartache and pain still exists but I am learning to walk in faith trusting God with each step.  I have learned courage and grown in my faith.  I am trusting God more each day.  I am thankful for the journey, despite the pain.  He has brought me to a place where I know that all my needs are being met by Him; all my strength is being provided by Him.

Acts 17:28 “For in him we live and move and have our being.”

Remembering things I’ve thought about in recent days …

"suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope”  Romans 5:3-4

"“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”  1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

“One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.”  Psalm 27:4

“But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.”   Isaiah 40:31 

No comments: