Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Contentment

“I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it.  I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”    Philippians 4:10-13

Paul writes here about having no needs.  He has wants, but no needs.  Why – because he has Christ.  In Christ, I have no need for anything.  Can I handle that idea?

He goes on in verse 19 and says that God will supply all his needs according to his riches in glory.

We live in a world where contentment is hard to find.  If you don’t believe that, look at how many people stood in line for days to get the new iPhone 6.  4 million were sold in the first 24 hours!  Those weren’t needs – those were wants.

We (as Americans) are abundantly blessed and have everything a person can imagine and yet we are bored and frustrated.  Why – because things don’t bring happiness or contentment.

Paul says he learned to be content.  Contentment is not a natural thing.  We have to learn contentment.  We have to come to the realization that God is better than life.  Sounds a little like something Paul said in Philippians 1:21 “To live is Christ, to die is gain.”  Or how about what David wrote in Psalm 63:3 “Your steadfast love is better than life.”

God is better than anything this world has to offer.  He is better than life itself.

I pray that God will not let anything in this life satisfy me and that He will help me find my satisfaction in Him alone.  True satisfaction and contentment comes when I abide in Christ.

I need to remember that all I have belongs to God and allow Him to use it as He sees fit.  If He chooses to take something from my life, then rejoice in that.  If He chooses to bless me with things or finances, then not only rejoice but find a way to use it for the furthering of the kingdom. 

I need to trust God no matter what happens because He has promised to provide all I need.  Circumstances of life don’t really matter when I realize that God is sovereign and that He loves me. 

Live my life for Him.  Live my life with Him.  Live my life in Him.  He loves me and he will sustain me and get me through any and all circumstances that life can throw my way.

No comments: