Monday, November 10, 2008

What excites you?

...
“Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.” (Psalm 100: 1-5)

We all have different things that make us happy - things that excite us or bring us joy. I love sports. I love to watch a good baseball or football game on TV. I get excited when my team is winning. Whether it is Big Ben Roethlisberger is throwing touchdown passes or John Smoltz is striking out batters, I’m cheering. (Guess you figured out I like the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Atlanta Braves.) I love the excitement of the game and the competition. I know the names and positions of the players. I love to talk about my teams.

These things excite me. What excites you? Does God excite you? Do you know all about Him? Do you read his word? Do you like to spend time with Him? Do you enter His gates with thanksgiving? Do you shout for joy and praise His name?

It isn’t wrong to support your favorite team. It isn’t wrong to know the players and talk about how great they are. It isn’t wrong to talk strategies and what ifs. But the real question is – do you give the same attention and dedication to the Lord that you do your favorite team? Do you look forward to your time with Him the same way you do the next “big game”?

As we are approaching Thanksgiving, let’s think about how we need to be giving thanks to him daily and praising Him – if for nothing else than the fact that He loves us.

..

1 comment:

Ousizch said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.