Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Death and Dying

.
The brain thinks about really weird things when you can’t sleep. I woke up about 4:00 in the morning and couldn’t go back to sleep. For some reason my brain started forming this post in my mind. I was thinking about how Christians don’t like to talk about death. Death is a fact. Everyone who lives also dies. The important part isn’t even necessarily how long you live, but how you live. What do you do with the time God has given you on this earth? Do you use each and every day you have to bring glory to God, to bring others to salvation, to influence your generation, neighbors, friends for the kingdom?

I was reminded of the life of Jim Elliott. Jim lived only 28 years but he lived everyday to do and to be what God wanted. His story is recounted in the book “Shadow of the Almighty” and was written by his wife. If you’ve never read it, I highly recommend it. Jim was a missionary to the Auca Indians in South America and he ended up being killed for his faith. His efforts spurred a movement of men to enter missionary service. One of the famous quotes from Jim’s life is: "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."

So what does the Bible say about death and dying? What should my attitude be toward death and dying…

* I believe that Christians can face death without fear.

“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 23:4

* I believe that a Christian goes to be with the Lord the moment he dies.

“We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 5:8

“If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith,” Philippians 1:22-25

* I believe that Christians will dwell with God forever. Psalm 23:6

“Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

* I believe that heaven is an awesome place and that we cannot even conceive how wonderful it will be.

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” John 14:1-3

* I believe that heaven will be a far better place for Christians than earth is.

“For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.” Philippians 1:21

Dying is the beginning not the end. It shouldn’t be feared and should be talked about.

Where ever you find yourself, use your life to serve God with all your heart. As a Christian, your finish line is heaven. Run the race well and take as many people with you there as you can.
.

No comments: