Sunday, May 9, 2010

Leaving a Legacy


Wow – I can’t believe it has been 10 days since I last posted something.  Things have been really busy.  In the last 2 weeks my husband had a birthday, I had a birthday, today is Mother’s Day, I had an MRI, and I spent 2 days out of town visiting some other schools. 

I’m reading a book for graduate school.  It is not one of my favorites and I am struggling to get through it. 

Life is just really busy.  I haven’t had trouble carving out time to read my Bible but I haven’t really taken the time to really meditate on what I’ve read.  It is in that meditating, thinking, researching, cross referencing that I learn the most.  I also digest it as I write about it.  I need to write this blog – it is really for my growth.

So – what am I going to write about today. 

I have been thinking about leaving a spiritual legacy.  What can I do that will effect future generations. 

This week a former student left me a birthday wish on my facebook and said “you are part of the reason that I am a teacher today.”  I can’t begin to tell you what that meant to me.  He was an amazing young man when he was in high school.  I was his high school algebra 2 teacher.  He worked hard but struggled.  I spent a lot of extra time with him that year and we got through it.  I am sure he is an excellent teacher as he understands how hard some kids have to work to learn.

Proverbs 13:22 talks about leaving an inheritance for your children and their children.  There are different things you can do to leave a legacy.

- talk to your children about Jesus
- live a godly life (all the time)
- build your life upon Scriptural principles
- let your good deeds shine forth and touch the people around you
- share your faith in Christ with others
- share the wisdom you have gained through the years with others.  Spend time with young people.
- Be involved in your local church.  Do what you can to make it a beacon of truth in your community.
- be a blessing to the people in your community

Now the big question – how do I find time to do this?

That’s the one I am struggling to find the answer to.

.

No comments: