Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Listen to the kid


My daughter is a junior in high school and is beginning to look at colleges.  We’ve been looking at state schools.  She wants to study biology.  She will probably get a teaching degree.  She told me last week that she thinks a Christian college would be a good idea.  I immediately thought about cost.  I don’t know how we will afford the tuition at a Christian college. 

So I asked the obvious question – Why do you think a Christian college would be the best?  Keep in mind that we’ve been paying tuition for Christian schools since she was in kindergarten.  She thought of something that I never thought of.  She said she knows that studying biology means she will have to study evolution.  She doesn’t want to go to a college that will make her compromise her faith in creation just to pass a test.  Pretty good reasoning for a 17 year old!

If Christians were more concerned about staying away from things that would make them compromise their faith and beliefs, I think we’d all have a better reputation in society.  One of the major problems that exist today is that Christians don’t look or speak differently than the world around them.  They don’t take a stand on the issues.  They are willing to do or say whatever is necessary in order not to cause a problem. 

My kid continues to amaze me with her faith.  I can’t thank God enough for her.

.

No comments: