Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I would have been a Superhero


Did you ever think about what you would have been like had you been Jesus?  He was all powerful and all knowing and yet fully human.  I would have been a superhero.  I would have been flying in the sky and swooping in just in time to save the day …. just like Superman or Wonderwoman, in my case.   

I would have used lightening bolts on my enemies.  I would have been a big showoff.  I would have been walking and even running on the Sea of Galilee – just because I could.  I would have been parting the Red Sea and watching the people run and then letting the water back down ever so slowly.  I would have made Harry Potter look like an amateur.  I would have been healing every sick person I came into contact with and smiting every Pharisee for mocking me. 

When I look at the life of Jesus, I don’t see anything like this.  He was quiet, patient, humble, and even private.  He didn’t show off and he wasn’t interested in impressing people. 

He was fully God and fully man.  A hard concept to understand.  He didn’t really need time to rest and yet he took that time.  He had an intimate relationship with the Father because he intentionally spent time with Him.  Jesus took time to get away from outside influences and focus on his relationship with God.  He didn’t have to, he chose to.

Life is busy and it is hard to set aside time for God.  Each person needs to use the time that works the best for him.  I can’t do it in the morning.  No way. I am not a morning person.  My best time is at night.  It actually helps me unwind from the pressures of the day.

Make it a point to make God a priority in your schedule.  If you don’t, something else will use that time slot.  And, like Jesus, find a quiet spot to go and get away from the distractions.  

 

Some ideas are taken from the book Honestly: Really Living What We Say We Believe.

No comments: