Friday, August 24, 2012

Dental floss and gum


Yesterday I slept a little longer than I should have and I had to hurry to get ready for work.  I’m driving on the interstate hurrying to get to work when all of a sudden I realized that I hadn’t brushed my teeth.  I really like clean teeth and this discovery was really gross.  What do I do?  I was halfway to work.  If I turn around and go back to brush my teeth, I would be late.  I decided to continue on.  When I got to work I had just a couple of minutes to spare and I pulled out the floss I keep in my purse and started flossing.  I don’t think my teeth have ever been flossed that well before.  Then I searched through my purse and found some peppermint gum.  I thought, it won’t be so bad.  My teeth are flossed and I’ll chew some gum to freshen my breath.  I went on in to work and made it through the day fine. 

Now, why do I tell this story?  I was thinking about how this incident relates to our Christian life.  There’s really no substitute for brushing your teeth.  One day with just floss and gum was fine but I wouldn’t want to live with just flossing and chewing gum.  I need my toothbrush for healthy teeth and fresh breath.

In my Christian life there is no substitute for reading the Bible.  I know some people read devotion books, or Christian books, or perhaps play some Christian music.  While all of those things are good things, they are not a replacement for time in the Word.  Just like the floss and gum are good things to have in addition to the toothbrush but they aren’t the main tool. 

The Word of God is referred to as the sword of the spirit in Ephesians 6.  A soldier wouldn't dream of going into battle without his sword. 

In Hebrews 4:12 it says “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.”

Just like your dental health, if you neglect using your toothbrush your teeth will not only not be clean but they will become unhealthy.  So it is with your spirit.  If you neglect your time in the Word of God your spiritual life will suffer.

That’s it for today.  Enjoy your weekend and brush your teeth.

No comments: