Thursday, August 23, 2012

Homework Answers


This is a follow-up to the post entitled “Homework”.  Be sure you’ve read it first in order for this to make sense.

Bible Study was good last night.  Lots of thoughts and discussions as to who was Melchizedek.  In the end we decided that who he was is a mystery. 

Sometimes we get caught up in trying to understand things that perhaps God doesn’t necessarily need us to understand.  After all, a finite brain trying to understand an infinite God is quite a task.  I think there are some things that you just have to take on faith.  Who Melchizedek was is one of those for me. 

I am usually one who wants to know all the answers.  I always wanted to get everything right on my tests when I was in school.  I strove for excellence.  I think there is a balance to be had here in my Christian life.  I need to “study to show myself approved…”  I need to know the Scriptures.  However, an intellectual gospel is always in danger of trying to bring God down to my size; making Him fit my explanations; making Him look a lot like me …. 

The quest for answers sometimes leads to a rejection of the mystery.  The mystery then becomes something intolerable.  Living with mystery is part of our Christian life; it’s a part of walking by faith.

A.W. Tozer in his book “Knowledge of the Holy” said  “For God is greater than the mind itself. If we could conceive of His greatness He would be less than the human mind which could form the conception."   and  “The essence of idolatry is the entertainment of thoughts about God that are unworthy of Him.” 

Be careful not to try to put God on your level.  Some things we will just have to trust Him with and accept that we just don’t have all the answers.  The important facts are that He knows all things; He controls all things; and He loves us with an everlasting love.

Revelation 4:8 “‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty,’ who was, and is, and is to come.”

No comments: