Thursday, September 20, 2012

Who are you

I am currently living with my parents and my husband is currently living with an uncle.  We are in the process of trying to build a house.  We are hoping to be in our house together by Christmas.  Our relatives have been great taking us in and taking care of us, but I have to tell a story.  (Mom forgive me.  I love you.)

I work long days.  I have an hour commute each way and then I drive out and feed our dog – who doesn’t live with either of us but is currently living in a friend’s backyard.  Anyway, I am usually gone about 11 hours.  One of the huge blessings of living with Mom and Dad is that Mom cooks supper almost every night.  It is amazing to walk in after a hard day of work and smell something good already cooking in the kitchen.  (I will definitely miss that when I move out.)

Last night we are sitting around the supper table and Mom decides that the casserole that she fixed didn’t have enough salt in it.  So she picks up the salt shaker and shakes some onto the casserole that was still in the dish.  I already had some on my plate so she reaches over and salts the food on my plate.  I use very little salt when I cook.  I just try to avoid it and so my natural reaction was, “Mom, what are you doing!” To which she replied, “It needs more salt.  It tastes flat.”  I am just not used to someone else messing with the food on my plate.  After all, I am 51 years old.  I can salt my own food. 

The more I thought about this situation, the more I realized that I am still my Mom’s little girl.  I will always be her child and age can’t change that.  She has always looked out for me and she will continue to look out for me as long as she is able to.  Her salting my food was a demonstration of her love and care for me.

I began to think about who I am.  I am a daughter, a wife, a mother, a teacher, an administrator, a friend, a neighbor, a writer, a Steeler fan, a reader, a music lover, etc….Who are you? 

Did you remember these?  I am a follower of Jesus. I am a child of God.  I am a new creation.  I am a witness.  I am more than a conqueror.  I am a temple of the Holy Spirit.  I am an overcomer.  I am a co-heir with Christ.  I am an ambassador for Christ.  I am God’s workmanship created for good works.  I am a spiritual light in a dark world.  I am part of the family of God.  I am a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation. I am blessed beyond measure.

Have a great day and never forget who you are.

No comments: