Tuesday, September 4, 2012

It’s simple but it isn’t easy


I guess I should say “I’m sorry” to my audience.  One of my friends who reads my blog told me my last post was boring and that I should stick with Bible stories or personal stories.  She found those posts to be much more interesting.  I’ll try to do better.  Smile

I think most Christians want to live out their Christianity.  Most would not tell you that they want to be a hypocrite.  Ask any little child what they want to be when they grow up; how many would say, “I want to be a hypocrite when I grow up.”  No.  That is not what people intend to do but it is what happens frequently.  Perhaps it isn’t overtly hypocritical but anyone who says they believe in Jesus but doesn’t live a life that reflects those beliefs, is a hypocrite. 

It really is simple.  Do what God tells you to do.  It’s not just enough to believe.  We need to submit our lives to the truth and live it out daily.  I’m not saying it is easy.  It is often a battle of the wills.  Your will must give in and be submissive to His will.  It isn’t enough to just read the Word daily.  We must live it out daily.

This is sometimes hard for me.  I like calling the shots.  I like being in control.  That’s why I got a degree in school administration.  I like making decisions and planning out events.  I desire to be the master of my own destiny. I don’t like being submissive.  I like being independent. 

A lot of people are like me.  We’ve been raised in a culture that says I can do anything I set my mind to.  I can “have it my way”.  I can achieve my dreams if I just work hard enough.  I customize my car, my PC, and even my dinner.  I get to pick exactly what I want and when I want it.  After all, I’m entitled to that, aren’t I?

Now the problem….  It doesn’t work that way in my relationship with God. I have to put God on the throne in the very center of my life and make my life revolve around Him, His glory, and His will.  He has to become more and I have to become less.  If He is to be Lord of my life, then He has to be in charge.  I must submit to Him.

Idolatry is basically making something more important than God.   A.W. Tozer said “The essence of idolatry is the entertainment of thoughts about God that are unworthy of Him.”  

The Israelites built a golden calf.  They actually had a physical idol.  Most of us don’t have anything that tangible that is an idol in our lives but we do have idols.  It could be money, relationships, popularity, or success.  These aren’t necessarily bad things; they just have a misplaced priority.  We have an omnipotent God who talks, listens, and works in our world and in our lives.  Why settle for something less to worship?

Do you value anything above God?  What about yourself?  You can be your own idol when you put your desires and will above God’s will for your life.  I have to intentionally examine my life for things that are trying to subvert God's place.  I have to determine in my mind and my heart that I will keep God on the throne of my life.  I have to purpose in my heart to seek His will and walk in His ways; to submit my will to His.  Not my way Lord, but yours.  Not my plans Lord, but yours.  Not my thoughts Lord, but yours.  Not my desires Lord, but yours.

It is a daily fight in my life to love the Lord God with all my heart, mind, and soul. 

Daily I need to ask:

  • What would God have me do today?
  • What would God have me say today?
  • How would God have me spend my money today? 
  • How would God have me react to my spouse today?
  • How would God have me use my time and talents today?
  • Is what I am doing, pleasing God?

God is the only source of real truth.  I must daily devote myself to this truth.  I must turn from idols in my life.  I must choose this day and every day to serve the Lord.  Daily surrender all to Jesus and freely give Him reign in my life.

It’s simple but it isn’t easy.

No comments: