Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Commute

I have been driving about an hour to work every day since the beginning of June.  I have found the time to be refreshing.

The time I have spent with the Lord has been amazing.  I pray out loud and talk to God as if He is sitting in the seat next to me.  Sometimes I sing choruses or hymns.  Then about the last 30 minutes or so I put on a Christian radio station (the Compass).   I didn’t realize how good this time was until I lost it…

I guess I didn’t lose it but I traded it.  I traded my time alone in the mornings and afternoons for a traveling companion.  I am now carpooling with a man who lives near me.  With gas at almost $4 a gallon, it seemed like a good financial decision.  He’s a nice young man and we talk casually going to and from work.  However, I miss my prayer time. 

It is really hard for me to find alone time.  I get up at 5:30 and leave for work at 6:30 and usually get home again about 5:30.  Then there is dinner, the dog, chores, my husband and daughter to help, and before I know it, it is bed time again.

I need to go back and look at my priorities and something has to go.  I’m not sure what it will be.  I do not function well in the morning and so getting up any earlier would be counterproductive. I am exhausted by bedtime.  I welcome any suggestions….

What have you traded that has cost you time with the Lord?  Have you shortened your prayer time for Facebook, music, TV, reading, sports …..  These things aren’t bad but anything that takes you away from spending time with God every day is a hindrance to your Christian walk.

 

Psalm 5 1-3  “Give ear to my words, O Lord. Consider my meditation. Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King and my God. For unto Thee will I pray. My voice You shall hear in the morning. O Lord in the morning, will I direct my prayer unto Thee and will look up."

Psalm 139:23-24 “Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”

No comments: