Tuesday, February 26, 2013

No Comparisons

“Each one should test his own actions.  Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry their own load.” (Galatians 6:4-5 NIV)

“Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.” (Galatians 6:4-5 MSG)

“Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won't need to compare yourself to anyone else.  For we are each responsible for our own conduct.”  (Galatians 6:4-5 NLT)

Did you notice that I just used the same verse but from three different translations. Each one speaks to me just a little differently.

I need to pay attention to the work God has called me to do and not compare myself to others. I’m only responsible for the work God has called me to do.

But how many times do we try to compare ourselves to others?

What do you compare?  (Forgive me for the female perspective.)

  • Is she prettier?
  • Is she skinnier?
  • Does she have better clothes; or even more clothes?
  • Does she have a bigger house?
  • Does she have a newer car?
  • Does she have a better job?
  • Does she make more money?
  • Does she have a better husband?

All of these are physical or material things. We shouldn’t be focusing on these things.

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”  Matthew 6:19-21

“Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things”  Colossians 3:2

What about spiritual things? Do you get caught up comparing yourself or your church to others?

  • Does our church have more people than theirs?
  • Do we worship better than they do?
  • Do I sing as good as that other person?
  • Is our pastor a better teacher/preacher than theirs?
  • Am I as powerful a teacher as he/she is?

Perhaps those questions should be:

  • Am I reaching out into our community and inviting people to come?
  • Am I pleasing God with my worship?
  • Do I sing for God? Am I making a joyful noise?
  • Is our pastor teaching the Word? Am I listening to what God is saying to me through him? Am I responsive to the leading of the Holy Spirit?
  • Am I seeking God for what He would have me teach and then teaching what God lays on my heart?

Everything I am is because of who Christ is and what He did for me. I need to focus on using my God given talents and abilities to serve Him the best that I am able – and not to look at what anyone else is doing or not doing.

God made me exactly the way He wanted me to be. He knows what His purpose is in my life. I need to accept myself for who I am and not try to be someone else. God made them different and gave them different gifts because He has a different purpose for them. We are all an important part of the body of Christ.

“There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.” 1 Corinthians 12:4-6

I need my goal to be to live every day in such a way that it brings glory to God.

“So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it.” 2 Corinthians 5:9

“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Galatians 2:20

“Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” Romans 12:1-2

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters” Colossians 3:23

God, help me see myself through your eyes.  Help me see Your purpose for my life and how You want to use me.  Then help me be willing to carry it through. 

No comments: