Monday, August 25, 2008

Why not me

Bad things happen. That is part of life. They happen to the “good” people and the “bad” people. Did you ever think why do bad things happen to good people? Or perhaps you consider yourself a “good” person. Did you ever think “why me?” You’ve given your heart to Jesus and tried to serve him. Yet it seems like you can’t catch a break. I’ve had some of those thoughts from time to time. I naturally think. “Why would God allow this to happen to me?” He is God; He can do anything he wants. He could stop this.

My first thought goes to the idea that I am saved by faith. It is a gift from God, not from works. (Ephesians 2:8-9) I can’t earn my way to heaven. No one is good enough to earn their way to heaven. We are all sinners saved by God’s grace. We are made righteous in the sight of God. Not because of what we have done but because of what Jesus did on the cross. So going back to the question about bad things happening to good people, I guess we are saying they are good in comparison to other people. In reality, there aren’t any good people. Romans 3:23 says that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Isaiah says that all our righteous acts are like filthy rags before him. While we think some people are better than others, before God we are all the same. The real question should be “Why not me?” God owes me nothing.

While he owes me nothing, He promises me eternal life. I must never forget that this world is an evil world. Satan and his demons rebelled against God and were cast out of heaven. The earth is now their world; their home. This world is not really my home if I belong to Jesus. One day I will be removed from this world and I will be with God in heaven. One day I will get what I don’t deserve – I will get eternal life in heaven with God. Jesus will be there speaking on my behalf. He will tell the Father that I belong to him and that I have been made righteous by his shed blood. He’ll testify to the Father that I have repented of my sin and made him the Lord of my life. He will talk of our relationship.

James tells us to "count it all joy when you fall into various trials". Notice he says when not if . The fact is that adversity is a reality for every person, and specifically every Christian (John 16:33; Acts 14:22; James 5:11; 1 Thessalonians 3:3). Does God get some joy out of seeing us suffer? NO! What good father gets pleasure out of seeing his child suffer? But on the other hand, what good father does not understand that suffering is part of the growth process for any child, and to protect the child from all suffering would cause the child great harm?

While it doesn’t seem right to see godly people suffer, remember that this world is a mess. The good news is that we are destined for somewhere better. Pray for strength and courage to face the tough times when they are here and remember where the finish line is.

Romans 5:3-5 “we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.”

John16:33 “"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

I Thessalonians 3:3 “so that no one would be unsettled by these trials. You know quite well that we were destined for them.”

No comments: