Friday, August 29, 2008

Book Recommendation

I just finished reading "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. A couple of things drew my interest to this book – the man who wrote it was a professor at Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh, PA – not too far from where I grew up. And – he was the original designer for the “Alice” software. We use that software in my department at Wesleyan School. The book really has very little to do with Computer Science. Randy was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and died in July 2008. This book is based on the ideas he wanted to impart to his students at Carnegie Mellon and to his three children. It talks about overcoming obstacles, treating people right, achieving your dreams through hard work, and making the most of the time you have. As I was reading it, I was thinking it had a lot of good practical ideas for young people. I don't often recommend books but this one was good. Perhaps I'll write some more about it later.

No comments: