Tuesday, January 20, 2009

One Thing ...

.
If you could ask for one thing you wanted from the Lord, what would it be? What one thing is the most necessary thing? If you could do one thing with your day today, what would it be?

David, often referred to as a man after God’s own heart, asked for this:

Psalm 27:4 “One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.”


My life seems so complicated sometimes. There are a million things in competition for my thoughts and devotion. It is hard to think about this kind of singleness of mind. Not everything that crowds in is sin. Yet nothing should take that position - the position of the most important thing in my life. No amount of busyness should keep me from that alone time with God.

David’s one thing was to dwell in the house of the Lord. I don’t think that was because he wanted to hide. I think that was because he wanted to worship. He longed to be in God’s presence. Everything else was secondary to him. This is what gave him the strong faith that he possessed. His devotion to the Lord provided him with wisdom and vision. It gave him courage.

Seek His presence. In His presence is fullness of joy! (Psalm 16:11) God wants us to worship him. He delights in the praise of his people.

Help me to have the same desire that David had.
.

No comments: