Monday, January 26, 2009

Righteousness

.
I’ve been thinking about the concept of righteousness the last couple of days.

Righteousness is defined as the quality or state of being righteous; holiness; purity; uprightness

Righteousness is an attribute of moral purity belonging to God alone (Phil. 3:9). Our righteousness is based on what Jesus did on the cross. The righteousness that was Christ's is counted to us. We, then, are seen as righteous in the eyes of God. Though we are actually worthy of damnation, we are made righteous (http://www.carm.org/kjv/Isaiah/Isaiah_61.htm#8)

Isaiah 32:17 “The fruit of righteousness will be peace; the effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever.”

God's righteousness is imputed to us at the moment of salvation. So any righteousness that flows from us is not from us, but from the Holy Spirit.

There are many ways to invest our lives. There is nothing that gives us a greater reward than devoting ourselves to righteousness. Every area of our lives should reflect the holiness of God. Am I taking God’s righteousness in my life for granted? Am I thinking holy thoughts or am I allowing sinful thoughts to grow there. Is there bitterness, jealousy, or unforgiveness in my life? Jesus told us to seek first God and His righteousness and everything else would follow. (Matthew 6:33)

How am I putting righteousness in my mind so that my thoughts are holy? How am I cultivating righteousness in the relationships I find myself in? How am I maintaining my integrity? Are the activities in my life above reproach? If I want to harvest righteousness in my life in the future, I need to plant the seeds of righteousness today. I need to be intentional about it.
.

No comments: