Friday, April 9, 2010

Who’s in Control


I am an organized take-charge kind of person.  I am a wife and a mother. I keep our household running, keep the bills paid, make sure everyone has something to eat and wear, and I keep up with everyone’s schedule.

I am a school administrator.  I run my department, manage projects, manage a budget, and take care of all kinds of issues.  I am an intelligent and hard working woman. 

I am organized.  I am scheduled.  I like to keep lists of things to do to stay on track.  I am in in charge. I am in control.

This week I have been thinking about how stupid that assumption is.  I am only in control as God permits me to be.  God is ultimately in control of everything.  It is really arrogant of me to think that I am in control.  I have no right to take on that responsibility.  I have no reason to worry about some of the fundamental things of my life. 

“So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”  Matthew 6:31-35

This doesn’t give me a license to live irresponsibly.  I still need to “take care of business”.  However, it does remove the stress when I think about God being there all the time to see me through.  I can make decisions with the confident assurance that if things don’t work out the way I planned, that God has a better plan in place.

I need to go back to the 2 greatest commandments.  Am I loving God with all my mind, heart, and soul?  Am I loving my neighbor as myself?  Am I placing a priority on relationships?  Am I ascribing to God the power that is His alone?  Am I taking care of myself – my body and mind are a gift from God.

Lots to think about ………..

 

 

“God is our refuge and strength,
       an ever-present help in trouble.” Psalm 46:1

“The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it,
       the world, and all who live in it;”  Psalm 24:1

“Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.”  Matthew 22:37-39

 

 

.

No comments: