Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Are you skipping through life?


Some people skip through life.  Some people walk through careful and calm.  While others drag their feet the whole way.  I think I am the careful calm one.

I have a purposeful, planned approach to life.  Yet, somehow it is getting more difficult to fit everything into a day that needs to get done.  Sometimes I am too serious and don’t enjoy each day the Lord has given me.  I’m going through life but not really living.

Time flies by.  Each year goes faster.  I remember being young and how slow each year went.  It took forever to get to another birthday or another Christmas.  I remember as a youth thinking that someone in their 30s was old.  Funny - but 50s are seeming pretty young now. 

Life is busy – too busy.  I think this is one of the devils schemes.  He tries to get me off-track.  He tries to get me to waste the time God has given me.  He tries to get me to be religious – with meaningless rituals instead of communing with the living God.  He tries to get me to look at things like church as habits.  He tries to get my mind to wander and not to engage with God.

I need to focus on God’s love for me and my love for Him.  When you love someone, you delight in what they delight in.  It’s easy to serve someone you love.  It’s easy to spend time with someone you love.

I need to focus on strengthening my relationship with God – that can happen anywhere and any time – and everywhere and all the time.  It’s not a ritual, it’s a relationship.

I’m not getting any more time.  Once a day has passed, it is gone forever.  So as time marches on, perhaps I should consider lightening up and skipping through life. 

Don’t just go through life but really live it.  Live it hand-in-hand with the God of the universe and enjoy the journey.

.

No comments: