Friday, November 19, 2010

Do the right thing … all the time


A teenager made this statement to me: “I did the right thing and I still got in trouble.”  What would you say?  I was taken back for a few minutes.

I finally told the young lady that as a Christian we are responsible to do the right thing all the time.  That doesn’t mean everything will go in our favor.  We are not responsible for what others do or how they react to what we do.  We are only responsible for our actions.  We are not responsible for the actions (or reactions) of others.

What do you think the Bible has to say about this? 

My thoughts tonight went to the book of Esther.  If you recall the story, Haman had issued a decree that he would annihilate the Jews on a set day.  Mordecai sent word to Esther.  He sent her a copy of the decree and explained that she had to try to talk to the King in order to stop the killing of the Jews.

At first, Esther thought no way am I doing that!  She thought the king would kill her when she went before him without being summoned.  However, Mordecai convinced her that she had an obligation to God to try to save the Jews.

After she was convinced to to do it, she said, ““Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.”

Because Esther acted and did the right thing and didn’t give in to her fear, the Jewish nation was saved.

The biggest lesson we can take from this story is to always do the right thing and let the outcome in God’s hands.  He loves you and will take care you.  If any fallout comes from doing the right thing, leave that in God’s hands as well.  He will reward you in due time.

.

No comments: