Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving is more than turkey


Thanksgiving is a time we have set aside to think about the things we have to be thankful for.  Examining our lives and seeing all the our blessings is a good practice.  One we really need to do daily not annually.

The Bible has a lot to say about giving thanks.

“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” I Thessalonians 5:16-18

“Oh give thanks for the God of heaven! For His mercy endures forever.” Psalm 136:26

“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your request be made known to God”  Philippians 4:6

"And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him" Colossians 3:17

“Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. ” Psalm 100 4:5

"Oh give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; for His steadfast love endures forever!"  I Chronicles 16:34

Thanksgiving is fun.  I get to spend time with my family.  We have great food.  However, if all I do is eat and give some lip service to being thankful, then I’ve missed the whole meaning of Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving should be about God and His steadfast love.  It’s about having a thankful heart for all the blessings I have received through the years and the promise of eternal life. 

It’s also about being content in our circumstances.  I should recognize that nothing takes God by surprise and that He knows what is best for me.  I may not see a situation as being good for me but God uses those situations to grow me in my faith and I still need to thank Him for those.

I wish you a happy and blessed Thanksgiving.  I pray you will focus on God and give Him the thanks that he so richly deserves.

.

No comments: