Friday, December 11, 2009

Disappointed and Discouraged


I’m still in recovery mode from my surgery. I felt really good on Wednesday.  I was feeling so good that I thought perhaps I should go back to work.  I was feeling a little guilty about staying home and feeling good.  Then yesterday happened.  I definitely knew that I was not ready to go back to work.  I had a bad day and barely got out of bed.  I was frustrated, disappointed, and discouraged.

I selected Hebrews 11 and 12 to read this morning.  It contains some of my favorite verses.  Hebrews chapter 11 is the great chapter on faith.  The word faith appears 27 times in chapter 11.  The chapter ends by talking about the sufferings of the Jewish people.  Some of those things were mockings, scourgings, chains, imprisonments, stonings, being sawn in two, temptations, death by the sword, and homelessness.

Now look at chapter 12.  Chapter 12 is to give discouraged Christians hope.  It talks about being surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses.  Those who have gone before us who despite their struggles remained true to their faith.     

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” (Hebrews 12:1-2)

Try to picture what this says.  First we are told to “throw off everything that hinders.”  This makes me think of a big load that I am supposed to put down.  What am I carrying around every day that I really don’t need?  Am shouldering burdens that I need to trust God with? 

Next, I am to get rid of “the sin that so easily entangles.” The word entangles makes me think that the devil is trying to confuse me, catch me, and ruin my walk with Christ.  The devil would do anything to trip me up and get me off on the wrong path.  Remember to stick to the narrow path.  (“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.”  Matthew 7:13)

Then we are to “run with perseverance the race.” The word endurance implies patience and consistency. 

So then, I am picturing a runner in a race.  He has gotten rid of everything that could possibly weigh him down.  He is watching every step, so as to avoid any sinful traps.  He runs with hope, patience, and consistency.  How does he do all this?

The next verse gives the answer.  The way to accomplish this is by focusing on Jesus.  Keep your eyes on Christ.

If I am focusing all my attention on Christ then I should know three things.  The first is – Who is Christ?  “the author and perfecter of our faith”  He will stick with you through thick and thin.  (Hebrews 10:23 says “He who promised is faithful.”)

The second thing to know is – What did Christ do?  “endured the cross, scorning its shame”  He suffered more than we ever will.  He knows what it is like to be mocked, scorned, beaten, forgotten, deserted, etc..  There is no frustration I can go through that will ever compare to what He has already endured.

The third thing is – Where is Christ now? - “sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Jesus is sitting next to God in a position of power.

Hebrews 7:25 “Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.” 

This means that I can keep on keeping on because Jesus is in the presence of God constantly and always interceding for me. Thank God that when I am frustrated, disappointed, and discouraged that He is there praying for me and carrying me through it.

.

No comments: