Monday, February 22, 2010

Mary MacKillop


“A nun who was once excommunicated by the Roman Catholic Church for insubordination is to become Australia's first saint.”

Mary MacKillop, who died in 1909, will be canonized in Rome on Oct. 17.  The pope announced at the Vatican this week.

The church has to attribute two miracles to a person before they can become a saint.  In 1995, she is said to have cured a woman of terminal leukemia. In December, another woman with incurable lung cancer prayed to Mary MacKillop for healing.  She is said to now be cured even though she has not taken any treatments.

Here’s link to the news article.

I have a huge problem with this whole idea of praying to dead people and saints.  That problem comes from 1 Timothy 2:5.

“For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,”

I pray to God.  Jesus is the only mediator between me and God.  He sits at God’s right hand and lives to make intercession for me.  (Romans 8:34)

Prayer is an act of worship and should only be offered to God.  Prayer should never be offered to any created thing.  To do this would be to offer worship and that would be an act of idolatry.

I’ll also add that no where in the Word are we told to pray to saints.  We are commanded to pray to God.  Surely if this were something we were suppose to do, God would have included it in His Word.

So, getting back to the news article.  I can’t explain why these people got well.  I know that God knows.  I don’t believe it was because they prayed to Mary MacKillop.

.

No comments: