Friday, March 19, 2010

Perseverance


I don’t seem to be persevering very well and so this may be a topic I shouldn’t write about.  Then again, because I don’t think I am doing it well, perhaps something I write will help me.  This blog is suppose to be about what I am learning and thinking.

A long time ago I read a book titled “Three Steps Forward Two Steps Back.”  I was thinking today that my life feels more like Two Steps Forward Three Steps Back.  I don’t feel like I am making any progress in some areas of my life – especially where my foot is concerned.  I’ve had problems with this foot for over a year and a half now.  I just want to be able to walk without pain.  Enough whining, let me continue on with my blog for today.

Psalm 62:1-2

“My soul waits in silence for God only; From Him is my salvation.

He only is my rock and my salvation, My stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken.”

David is talking to himself.  He is telling himself to stop and wait for God.  Wait for God to direct my steps.  He is my rock.  Wait on Him to provide for my needs. Have you ever talked to yourself like this?  I talk to myself lots of times. 

Verse 1 also talked about waiting in silence.  Sometimes I just need to shut up and listen.  Stop speaking.  Close my eyes.  Meditate on who God is.  Meditate on what His Word is saying to me.  Listen deeply.  Listen to my heart.  Hebrews 8:10 says that God will inscribe His law….His will ….upon my  heart and mind.

Have confidence.  Verse 2 of Psalm 62 says that God is my rock and my stronghold.  It is because of the confidence I have in God that allows me to wait quietly for Him.

Finally know that Romans 5:3 says that perseverance produces character.  Perhaps that is what God had in mind for me all along ….

.

No comments: