Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Eternity


Couldn’t sleep.  Thought I’d blog.  Why do I blog….some reasons are to keep a record of what God has been teaching me, reminding me, reinforcing in my life.  So I can read it and be encouraged and so I can share those thoughts and ideas with others.

I’ve had a lot of thoughts about eternity this week.  School started on Monday but it was also Monday when we lost one of our fellow teachers to cancer.  We also lost one of our school’s alumni this week to a tragic accident.  So, lots of news and none of it would be considered good news.

Everyone has to make their decision on what they believe about eternity.  I think it is this belief that determines how people live while here.

The Bible doesn’t give a lot of details about heaven.  We know it is a wonderful place.  We know we want to go there.  What else do I know…

Here’s a few things I know about eternity.

** As a believer, I can face death without fear

Psalm 23:4
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

1 Corinthians 15:54-57
Then, when our dying bodies have been transformed into bodies that will never die, this Scripture will be fulfilled:
“Death is swallowed up in victory.
O death, where is your victory?
O death, where is your sting?”
For sin is the sting that results in death, and the law gives sin its power. But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ.

** As a believer, I will enter the Lord’s presence at death.

2 Corinthians 5:8
Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord.

Philippians 1:22-23
But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better. I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me.

** As a believer, I will dwell with God forever.

Psalm 23:6
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

** As a believer, Jesus is preparing a special place for me in heaven.

John 14:1-3
"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."

** As a believer, heaven will be a better place for me than earth.

Philippians 1:21
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Revelation 14:13
And I heard a voice from heaven saying, “Write this down: Blessed are those who die in the Lord from now on. Yes, says the Spirit, they are blessed indeed, for they will rest from their hard work; for their good deeds follow them!”

** As a believer, I will receive a crown in heaven.

2 Timothy 4:7-8
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

I’m sure I’ve left out a few things.  What do you think of when you think of eternity or heaven?

,

No comments: