Saturday, August 28, 2010

Burn Out or Rust Out

.
I had a hard week at work.  Lots and lots to do.  Three days this week I stayed at school for about 12 hours.  By the time I got to Friday, there wasn’t much left to give.  I struggled just to get through the day.
 
I was reminded of a sermon I heard one time that revolved around Romans 12:11 “Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.”  The pastor made the statement that the Christian may burn out but he must not rust out.  He was trying to motivate people to get involved in ministry.

However, as I thought about that this week, I realized that was terrible advice.  Whether you burn out or rust out, you are out.  Out of what --- out of the race, out of your pursuit to become Christlike, you've lost your ability to make a difference.  (You have not lost your salvation.)  When you burn out from exhaustion, you are tense, angry, demanding, and resentful.  You end up doing more harm than good for the kingdom.

So again, I am back to the need for pulling away and finding some solitude.  Jesus did it.  I need to do it.

As I looked at my schedule it was hard to find time.  I started walking my dog at 6:00 am (before I leave for work).  It’s good for him.  It’s good for me – both physically and spiritually.  It’s quiet and peaceful and starts my day out with calmness.

Take care of yourself.  You can’t minister to others if you are burned out.
.

No comments: