Friday, August 20, 2010

What would you do?


There are some things that I am very skeptical about.  One of those is people who approach me and ask me for money.  I had taken my daughter to the pet store after school today to get some supplies.  When we exited the store, a lady approached me.  She seemed nice but sad and depressed.  She was probably in her mid-30s.  She said that she was $5 short on her rent at the Extended Stay across the road.  She said that she and her 11 year old were not going to have any place to stay if she couldn’t come up with $5.  She apologized for bothering us but said she didn’t know what to do.

I looked in her eyes and I believed her.  I dug out my wallet and I asked her if she was sure the money was going to go for rent.  She assured me that it was.  I gave her all I had - $7.  ( I never carry much cash.)  She was very grateful.  I thought she was going to cry.  As we walked to our car and made our way across the parking lot, I watched her walk across the road and back to the Extended Stay.

I have no way of knowing if she was being honest with me or not.  I don’t know if she needed rent money or if she was just panhandling.  I only know that I did what I thought was right. 

You never know who God will put in your path to help.  Look for them and look for opportunities to bless others.

.

No comments: