Saturday, August 14, 2010

Conversation with God


Saturday morning is not a normal time for me to write.  I love sleeping in on Saturday mornings.  I look forward to it all week.  I stay up too late and get up too early throughout the week and so Saturday is my time to “catch up” on my rest. 

This morning I woke up about 7:30 with all kinds of things racing through my mind that I needed to get done.  I couldn’t believe that I was awake.  I’ve been putting in long hard days the last two weeks at work.  The last thing I wanted to do was get up early on Saturday.

However, as I laid in bed and thought of all I needed to accomplish, another thought kept coming in my mind.  That was, “Be Still.”  God does not speak to me in audible voices and yet I knew this was God trying to get me to focus. 

If it had been an audible conversation, here’s how it would have gone:

Be still

I don’t have time to be still.  I have the laundry to do, my kitchen is a mess, and the house needs cleaned.

Be still

Beth needs highlighters.  I need to take her and make sure she has all her school supplies.

Be still

Oh, yeah.  I have to reorder her shoes today.  They came and they were too big.

Be still

I forgot to set up the calendars on the network for the teachers to sign up to use the lab.  I’ve got to log onto the network and get that done today. Oh, yeah - lesson plans.  I need to work on those.  Wonder what else I am forgetting to do for Monday.

Be still

God, I don’t have time to be still.  Obviously, I woke up early so I could get more done today.  I need to go shopping and find some new school clothes and I need a haircut.

Be still

We need groceries.  I wonder what Randy wants to eat this week.  I could cook some stuff today and we could eat leftovers each night.  It’s going to be hectic week. 

Be still

I will “be still” later, God.  Right now I need to make a “to do” list.  I have a lot to accomplish today.  I really need to get up and get going.

BE STILL

Okay, you don’t need to yell.  You’ve got my attention.

As I began to focus on God, He began to impress on my mind the need to “be still” not just with my body but with my mind and my heart.  Being still shows my faith and trust are in God.  God is in control of my situation.  God is my source of strength.  Relax.  Be quiet.  Quit worrying.  Do nothing.  Don’t panic.  Cease everything.  Listen to God.  Quiet my heart…… 

Focus on God.  Draw strength from Him.  Allow him to shoulder my burdens and prioritize my life.  I still have things to do today but none of them more important than my time with God.  I shouldn’t allow any of my “to do” list to stress me out.  Things really aren’t as urgent as they seem.  This does not mean I don’t still need to take care of my household responsibilities.  It just means, relax, breathe deep, and let God walk with me through the day.

“Be still, and know that I am God.”  Psalm 46:10

“God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.”  Psalm 46:1

..

No comments: