Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Going Through the Motions


Proverbs 2: 1 – 5

1My son, if you will receive my words
         And treasure my commandments within you,
2Make your ear attentive to wisdom,
         Incline your heart to understanding;
3For if you cry for discernment,
         Lift your voice for understanding;
4If you seek her as silver
         And search for her as for hidden treasures;
5Then you will discern the fear of the LORD
         And discover the knowledge of God.

I added the bold to the above words.  All of these point to our responsibilities.  If you do these things.  If you are willing to pay the price.  If you are willing to do the hard work.

Then, and only then, you will see what the knowledge of God means.  Then you will understand what it means to know God.  What it means to be in an intimate relationship with the infinite God.

We are to search with diligence and be ready to see whatever it is that God has to show us.  We need to ask God to open our eyes and allow us to see all the things He has for us.

Now let me go back to the verse I looked at last time “progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him,”  (Philippians 3:10)

How do I do this?  I go to church.  I go to Sunday School.  I take notes on the sermons.  I have notebooks full of the notes I’ve taken.  I sing the worship songs.  Isn’t all that enough?

Actually, no. that’s not enough.  Going through the motions is not the same as intimacy with Christ.  I need to prioritize my life so that everything I do puts Jesus first.  I have responsibilities in this relationship.  I need to seek God with my whole heart.  I need to keep my mind and heart open to what God wants for me. 

The lyrics in the video below talk about this idea of just Going Through the Motions

 

.

No comments: